Hotels.com, one of the leading online travel agencies, boasts a Price Guarantee that promises users the best deals on hotel accommodations. The guarantee suggests that if a user finds a lower price for the same room on another website, Hotels.com will match the price or refund the difference. While this sounds like a compelling offer, numerous users have reported difficulties in getting their claims approved.
Hotels.com will almost always deny your price guarantee claim from our experience.
NEVER book a room with Hotels.com if it’s not refundable and you are depending on the price guarantee. The customer service will keep pushing back with bogus reasons. They will simply state the price is no longer there or that it’s higher until you give up.
How do I fight for my price guarantee claim?
I have had luck by pushing back the same way. Just play it the same way Hotels.com customer service plays it. Keep copy and pasting your same response.
Hi. I checked the price for the same room, option, and dates just now after your email and I confirm it’s lower than Hotels.com’s booking. Please follow the link provided and try again. I have also attached a screenshot with the lower price.Upset customer
Sometimes, eventually you’ll get the right customer service rep.
Valid reasons why Hotels.com will reject your price guarantee claim
- Stringent Terms and Conditions: Hotels.com’s Price Guarantee comes with a set of terms and conditions that users must adhere to for a successful claim. Many users find themselves tripped up by the intricate details of these conditions, such as the requirement that the lower rate must be available on the same day of booking or that the room types must match precisely. Deviation from any of these conditions can result in a denied claim.
- Limited Comparison Scope: The Price Guarantee only considers rates available on a select few websites for comparison. This limited scope often means that users cannot compare prices with smaller, regional platforms or even direct bookings with hotels. This can be frustrating for users who come across a better deal on a platform not covered by Hotels.com’s comparison criteria.
- Complex Submission Process: Submitting a Price Guarantee claim on Hotels.com can be a cumbersome process. Users are required to fill out a detailed online form, provide screenshots, and wait for the customer service team to review the claim. Any errors or missing information can lead to claim rejection. The complexity of the submission process discourages some users from pursuing their claims.
- Lack of Transparency: Hotels.com’s decision-making process regarding Price Guarantee claims is not always transparent. Users often find it challenging to understand why their claims were denied, as the explanations provided may be vague or generic. This lack of clarity leaves users frustrated and dissatisfied with the resolution process.
- Exclusions and Blackout Dates: The Price Guarantee does not apply to certain situations, such as rates related to unpublished prices like opaque or auction sites, package deals, or prices available only to loyalty program members. Additionally, blackout dates may limit the applicability of the guarantee during peak travel periods. These exclusions may not be apparent to users until they attempt to make a claim.
Don’t rely on the Hotels.com price guarantee
While Hotels.com’s Price Guarantee may appear enticing at first glance, users should approach it with caution and a clear understanding of the terms and conditions. The frequent denial of claims suggests that the guarantee’s implementation may not always align with user expectations. Potential users should carefully review the terms, be aware of the limitations, and consider alternative booking options to ensure the best possible deal without relying solely on the Price Guarantee. As with any online service, it’s essential to be an informed consumer and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.