So you sat in your Toyota Prius and when the electric part is on, everything was fine, but as soon as the gas engine turns on, your car sounds like a loud motorcycle? Chances are, you are victim to the rising number of catalytic converters being stolen from Toyota Priuses. This crime is on the rise!
How much does it cost to replace the catalytic converter on a Toyota Prius?
The average cost for a Toyota Prius catalytic converter replacement is between $1,750 and $3,000 depending on whether the parts are new or used and whether they are genuine Toyota parts.
Insurance should cover for your stolen catalytic converter
We had a basic comprehensive insurance and since the catalytic converter was part of the car, this theft was covered by insurance. We just had to pay the deductible amount of $500 which still hurts but not as bad as paying $3000!
What do I do next to get my Toyota Prius Catalytic Converter Replaced?
- Make a claim with your insurance company
- Your insurance company will provide a list of shops they want you to use. Do a little research on the shop’s reviews
- Call the shop you chose to confirm that work can be done and make an appointment.
- Get your car towed to their shop. Note : the shop may send their own towing company to pick up your car.
- Have the auto shop fix your car, and you go pick it up.
- Pay the deductible amount at the shop
How to prevent your Toyota Prius catalytic converter from being stolen
Install a cat shield or a plate underneath your Toyota prius so it’ll become more difficult to steal the Toyota Prius catalytic converter. It’s still not impossible to steal it, but it will add some time to the work and that’s enough for most thieves to be deterred. The cat shield itself costs around $180 and the labor is roughly another $100 totaling $300.